Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Reflections on my Nineteenth Year

It was my sister's 19th birthday yesterday. That obviously led me to hours of disbelief that she was indeed that old. I remember teaching her to drive, arguing that makeup does make your face look different, and babysitting her. Then I remembered that I didn't teach her to drive as much as force her into the driver's seat in a snowstorm and tell her that if she didn't drive, we would never get home. I was the one who didn't wear makeup and "babysitting" meant carrying her upstairs by her underwear, giving her the most extreme wedgie in the entire world. Sorry, Ems! Here is the fabulous birthday girl and me!
As I was writing her birthday card, I tried to remember what I was feeling when I was 19. I was about to start my second year at UConn and I was excited to live with two of my best friends from my first year.
I look back on pictures like this and see how young we are. It makes me think that in 5 years, my sister might look as old as I am now. Eek! Anyway, through more reflection on my 19th year, I decided that instead of telling her how much she means to me, (which I do quite frequently) I would give her 19 piecse of advice for her 19th year! Admittedly, I licked the card shut before writing them down, so these little nuggets are slightly different from the ones in Em's card. Enjoy!

1. Take every opportunity as it comes. Study abroad and join clubs! You'll never have as much freedom as you do now!
2. Travel! You have the chance to study abroad, go on a domestic study away, National Student Exchange, alternative spring break, road trip! Take it now because working 8-5 does not aid in traveling places.
3. Keep in touch with those friends who have been there for you for years. It doesn't seem that important now, but when you really need them, they'll be the first ones on a plane for you.
4.Break the rules. Do something spontaneous. Do something just because you WANT TO!
5. Read the Classics. You have time now and there is something to be said for being well-read.
6. Take photos! Right now, you may not need them; as time goes one, people leave or pass away. You're going to want those photos.
7. Say thank you.
8. Remember people's birthdays and anniversaries. They'll remember yours.
9. Start running now. It's easier to train for a race when you're 19 than 24. Oof.
10. Laugh a lot! Do silly things. Order pizza at 1am just because you can.
11. Meet new people! I met two of my best friends at UConn and I still love them!
12. Try new things. Join clubs and talk to people with whom you think you have nothing in common.
13. Experiment. Eat different foods, dye your hair, use an accent. It's fun!
14. Keep up with technology. Things are only going to get faster.
15. Be grateful. Life is so short and we've been given so much.
16. Write letters, send cards, call people. These will never be replaced by text messages or Facebool chat.
17. Do more than you think you can. You're the only one holding you back.
18. You're stronger than you think you are. Humans are resilient. You can do it!
19. Have fun! You'll never be 19 again!

No comments:

Post a Comment