Monday, November 28, 2011

A Year in Review

Happy Thanksgiving! At a time that reminds us so much of family, friends, and good fortune, it seems normal that I would reflect on my life last year. Everything I expected would be has long been since turned upside down. There were milestones I haven't reached and I've met goals I didn't even have last year. If I had put together a list last year of everything I wanted, I woulnd't have half of them. That isn't bothering me. Along with my life changes has come a huge shift in priorities.



Last Thanksgiving day, I rushed from the MHS-Xavier football game to Hatfield Thanksgiving to second Thanksgiving. This year, I spent the entire day at home. Emily is a first-year student in college, and therefore didn't dance at the football game. That, in itself, is a huge change for me. It's weird that after five years, I'm living at home and Em is at college. I never expected to be here.


Emily with Bryant's mascot, Tupper

Last year, I was 218 pounds heavier. Eighteen of those pounds were on my hips and thighs, and 200 was on my back, weighing me down. At the time, I didn't know how heavily the doomed relationship was weighing on me. It affected every day of my life and I feel so much freer now. Nine months have passed and I can clearly see my path. I need time to figure out myself and why I was so reluctatnt to let go of something so toxic. Sometimes I think I've got everything figured out, and then others I feel I'm doomed to repeat my mistakes over and over again. I do know that I won't ever make them with him again.


The new Lauren!

My main reflection from the last year is to live here in the moment. You never know when you'll be single, unemployed, living with your parents. Relish your friendships and the fun while you're having it. Look around at the people who are by your sides; these are your true soul mates. I can count on one hand the non-family people who really, truely care about me. I'm planning to look back on Thanksgiving 2011-Thanksgiving 2012 and be able to say that I've nutured those people who love me and have made the most of the gifts I've been given.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment